Things to remember
- To understand the parts of one whole (i.e. a unit) we represent a unit by a block. One block divided into 10 equal parts means each part is 1/10(one-tenth) of a unit. It can be written as 0.1 in decimal notation. The dot represents the decimal point and it comes between the units place and the tenths place.
- Every fraction with denominator 10 can be written in decimal notation and vice-versa.
- One block divided into 100 equal parts means each part is ( 1/100 )(one-hundredth) of a unit. It can be written as 0.01 in decimal notation.
- Every fraction with denominator 100 can be written in decimal notation and vice-versa.
- In the place value table, as we go from left to the right, the multiplying factor becomes 1/10 of the previous factor.
- All decimals can also be represented on a number line.
- Every decimal can be written as a fraction.
- Any two decimal numbers can be compared among themselves. The comparison can start with the whole part. If the whole parts are equal then the tenth parts can be compared and so on.
- Decimals are used in many ways in our lives. For example, in representing units of money, length and weight.
- 0.007 + 8.5 + 30.08
- 15 + 0.632 + 13.8
- 27.076 + 0.55 + 0.004
- 25.65 + 9.005 + 3.7
- 0.75 + 10.425 + 2
- 280.69 + 25.2 + 38
- 0.007 + 8.5 + 30.08 = 38.587
- 15 + 0.632 + 13.8 = 29.432
- 27.076 + 0.55 + 0.004 = 27.63
- 25.65 + 9.005 + 3.7 = 38.355
- 0.75 + 10.425 + 2 = 13.175
- 280.69 + 25.2 + 38 = 343.89
|The amount of money, Rashid spent for|
|The amount of money, Rashid spent for |
|The total amount spent by Rashid||= Rs 35.75 + 32.60
|The amount of money,mother gave her |
|The amount of money,father gave her |
|The total amount given to Radhika by |
|=10.50 + 15.80
|The Nasreen bought cloth for her shirt||= 3 m 20 cm|
|The Nasreen bought cloth for her trouser||= 3 m 5cm|
|The total length of cloth for her|
shirt and her trouser bought by her
|=3 m 20 cm
+ 3 m 5cm
|The distance, Naresh walked in the morning||= 2 km 35|
|The distance,Naresh walked in the evening||= 1 km 7 m|
|The distance did he walk morning|
and evening in all
|= 2 km 35
+ 1 km 7 m
|The distance,Sunita travelled by bus||=15 km 268 m|
|The distance,Sunita travelled by car||=7 km 7 m|
|The distance,Sunita travelled |
on foot in order to reach
|= 500 cm|
|The total distance, Sunita travelled |
from her residence to her school
|=15 km 268 m
+ 7 km 7 m
|The weight of the rice, Ravi purchased||=5 kg 400 g|
|The weight of the sugar, Ravi purchased||=2 kg 20 g|
|The weight of the flour, Ravi purchased||=10 kg 850g|
|The total weight of his purchases||=5 kg 400 g
+ 2 kg 20 g
+ 10 kg 850g